“I loafe and invite my soul,
I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of
Show off the beauty of your hand-painted yarn with this simple, graphic, lace pattern. The stitch pattern used for the body of the hat is a garter stitch version of the lace pattern “Leaves of Grass.”
The edging is knit as a long strip. Stitches are then picked up along the length and the knitting is joined in the round to work the body of the hat.
Prefer to purchase this pattern via Patternfish? Click here.
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Yarn: 120 (140, 160) yds/110 (128, 146) meters wool or wool-blend DK weight yarn that knits up to 5.5 sts/inch.
Shown In: Indigodragonfly ‘DK Polwarth Silk’, (775 yards/709 meters; 75% wool, 25% silk; 8.82 oz/250 grams per skein), 1 skein in Curse Your Sudden but Inevitable Betrayal (Wash).
Available Sizes: Small, (Medium, Large)
Fits head circumference up to: 18” (21”, 24”)/45.72 (53.34, 60.96) cm
Finished size (blocked): 13.5” (16.5”, 19”)/34.29 (41.94, 48.26) cm
Height (edge to crown): 8”/20.32 cm
Other Possible Yarns:
- Filatura Di Crosa ‘Zara Chinè’, (137 yards/125 meters; 100% merino; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- The Verdant Gryphon ‘Traveller’, (280 yards/256 meters; 100% merino; 3.63 oz/103 grams per skein).
- Koigu ‘Kersti Merino Crepe’, (114 yards/104 meters; 100% merino; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Rowan ‘Pure Wool DK’, (136 yards/124 meters; 100% wool; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Manos del Uruguay ‘Silk Blend’, (150 yards/137 meters; 70% merino, 30% silk; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- madelinetosh ‘tosh merino DK’, (225 yards/206 meters; 100% merino; 4.06 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Rowan ‘Felted Tweed DK, (191 yards/175 meters; 50% merino, 25% rayon, 25% alpaca; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Stitch marker (1)
- Locking stitch marker (1)
- Tapestry Needle
- Fine cotton yarn in contrasting color for life-lines (optional)
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on charts/instructions – optional)
- Picking up stitches
- Working in the round
- Increasing and decreasing
- Following charts
Pattern is 6 pages.
Photographer: Shawn Miller, Distractions in Focus
Tech Editor: Jenn Wisbeck
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.
Once payment has been received, you will receive a link to download a PDF of this pattern.