The geometric design used in this stole has always reminded me of elements found in decorative ironwork. After using the stitch pattern for my Gridwork Scarf, I knew I wanted to explore it further in a stole and began looking at combining lace patterns to create a deep border. The final result was a design that reminded me of the lacy ironwork found in New Orleans’ famous French Quarter, and thus I named the design Vieux Carré Stole in the city’s honour.
Vieux Carré is a rectangular stole worked in sections. The first edging is knit separately and then stitches are picked up along the length to work the body of the stole. Finally, additional stitches are cast on and the second edging (which is slightly different than the first) is worked, the attached edging effectively casting off the body stitches while the edging is worked.
Prior to blocking the middle part of stole is much narrower than the edging as it is knit, but will stretch out beautifully during blocking to match the width of the edging. With wear the body will narrow slightly while the edging will remain the same width, giving the stole a slight fluting at the bottom edges.
Prefer to purchase this pattern via Patternfish? Click here.
Skill Level: Intermediate
560 (950) yards/512 (869) meters of plant fiber (preferably linen) blend, structured sport weight yarn that knits up to 6 sts/inch.
Note: Structured yarn means one that is cabled, is a tape yarn, is knit in a tube or is one that has minimal inherent stretch in the yarn itself.
Classic Elite Yarns ‘Allegoro’, (152 yds/139 meters; 70% cotton, 30% linen; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein). 6 skeins in 5620 Skydiver. Size Large.
Finished Size (blocked):
Regular – 60”/152.4 cm long by 16”/ 40.6 cm wide
Large – 76”/193 cm long by 21.5”/54.6 cm wide
Other Possible Yarns:
• Rowan ‘Panama’, (148 yds/135 meters; 55% rayon, 33% cotton; 12% linen; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
• Classic Elite Yarns ‘Firefly’, (155 yds/142 meters; 75% rayon, 25% linen; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
• Shibui Knits ‘Linen’, (246 yds/225 meters; 100% linen; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
• Louet ‘MerLin Sport Weight’, (250 yds/229 meters; 60% wet spun linen, 40% merino wool; 3.53 oz/100 grams per skein).
• Stitch markers 6 (8)
• Glow line tape (to mark current row on charts/instructions)
• Fine cotton thread in contrasting colour for life-lines
• Tapestry needle
• Blocking wires and pins
• Increasing and decreasing
• Following charts
• i-cord bind off
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.
Once payment has been received, you will receive a link to download a PDF of this pattern.