This shallow shawlette is worked from the bottom up, with crescent shaping produced using short rows in garter stitch. The upper edge is finished with an I-cord bindoff. The shawlette pattern includes instructions for five yarn weights and two sizes for the heavier weight yarns.
Anna Perenna is an old Roman goddess of the seasons (or “ring” of the year, as the name “per annum” indicates). Her festival fell on the Ides of March (March 15), which would have marked the first full moon in the year in the old lunar Roman calendar when March was reckoned as the first month of the year.
At a time of year when those in the north long for warmer weather; a crescent shawlette in spring colours to honour the goddess Anna Perenna seems apropos, offering a touch of warmth when needed and heralding a fresh season.
A thoroughly modern shape and yet, one can imagine it wrapped around the shoulders of Audrey Hepburn as she walks the streets of Rome or drinks coffee in a café in Paris.
Discover the Pictoral Adventure!
Prefer to purchase this pattern via Patternfish? Click here.
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner to Intermediate
• Worsted – 400 (500) yards/366 (457) meters worsted weight yarn with 5 sts/inch.
• DK – 440 (530) yards/402 (485) meters dk weight yarn with 6 sts/inch.
• Fingering – 460 (500) yards/421 (457) meters fingering weight yarn with 7 sts/inch.(Inebee used 400 yards)
• Light Fingering – 530 yards/485 meters fingering weight yarn with 8 sts/inch.
• Lace Weight – 550 yards/503 meters lace weight yarn with 8.5 sts/inch.
Finished Size (after blocking):
• Worsted Weight – 67 (79)” long by 11.5″ centre depth (4.5″ outer edge depth)/170 (201) cm long by 29.25 cm centre depth (11.5 cm outer edge depth).
• DK Weight – 67.5 (75)” long by 10 (12)” centre depth (3″ outer edge depth)/171.5 (190.5) cm long by 25.5/30.5 cm centre depth (7.5 cm outer edge depth).
• Fingering Weight – 68 (71)” long by 9 (10.5)” centre depth (2.75″ outer edge depth)/172.75 (180.5) cm long by 23/26.75 cm centre depth (7 cm outer edge depth).
• Light Fingering Weight – 77″ long by 12″ centre depth (3″ outer edge depth)/195.5 cm long by 30.5 cm centre depth (7.5 cm outer edge depth).
• Lace Weight – 63″ long x 10″ centre depth (3.75″ outer edge depth)/160 cm long by 25.5 cm centre depth (9.5 cm outer edge depth).
• Stitch markers (3)
• Glow line tape (to mark current row on chart)
• Fine cotton thread in contrasting colour for life-lines (used in lace edging)
• Tapestry needle
• Blocking wires and Tpins
• Increasing and decreasing
• Following charts
• Short rows
• i-cord bind off
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern can be ordered from Shall We Knit?
Once payment has been received, you will receive a link to download a PDF of this pattern.