Eclectic Closet Litblog, Book Reviews & Knitting Designs

A litblog dedicated to book reviews/recommendations, as well as literary and publishing news. Now enhanced with knitting designs.

Le Sock

I turned my first heel! You’ll have to imagine the happy dance going I’m afraid. The sock (Slouch socks from Not Just More Socks) traveled with me to Toronto for a day of fun at the Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival, although no knitting actually happened there.

I have to admit that a fair bit of frogging did occur as I was working on the heel. I managed to misread the pattern while doing the heel flap and then a second time while actually turning the heel. Despite all the frogging, I am really enjoying the process. Now for some gusset work!

Oh, and the CSNF was fun and I took a short class on crocheting rag rugs. While it was interesting and I ended up with a great hot pad, my wrist ached for two days afterward so I suspect this is not the craft for me.

posted under Uncategorized
9 Comments to

“Le Sock”

1. On May 2nd, 2006 at 12:47 pm Chris Says:

Congrats!!! It looks great, too.

2. On May 2nd, 2006 at 1:10 pm Janelle Martin Says:

Thanks Chris! It’s been an interesting experience and I’m really enjoying it, despite the frogging.

3. On May 2nd, 2006 at 5:14 pm MarciNYC Says:

Ooooooooh! You went to CSNF – I am so jealous!

Maybe next year I can mosey up to Toronto — provided the Canadian dollar doesn’t surge ahead of the weakening US dollar. Ugh — it used to be cheap to visit Canada.

Oh well — I suppose this turn of events is good for you. Are you coming to AC again this fall? If so, we’ll have to make plans to get together again. I had such fun last time around.

4. On May 2nd, 2006 at 7:36 pm Janelle Martin Says:

Unfortunately this year’s conference is in Baltimore. =( But if you would like to come meet me there I’d be delighted.

CSNF will be held again in the fall so perhaps you can come up for that?

If not, I’ll have to plan another trip to Atlantic City!

5. On May 2nd, 2006 at 7:54 pm Carrie K Says:

Turning the heel on a sock is one of life’s miracles. It is! I find it weirdly compelling. The sock looks great.

6. On May 3rd, 2006 at 1:16 am Janelle Martin Says:

Thanks Carrie! I’m pretty proud of it. Now I just have to decide what pattern to use for my Socks that Rock yarn.

7. On May 3rd, 2006 at 10:32 am Penina Says:

It is a miracle, the first one, isn’t it? The heel-pocket, the way the short-rowing makes a nice arc on the bottom of the sock….
    Enjoy your sock-making.

8. On May 3rd, 2006 at 11:10 am Janelle Martin Says:

Yes, it sure is a miracle. I figured there was no way the short row thing would work to make the heel pocket and yet there it was!

9. On May 9th, 2006 at 9:52 pm Penina Says:

Now you are ready to use short-rowing to make 3-d stuffed animals…and boobage adjustments on sweaters!

BTW, I highly recommend the Bev Galeskas FiberTrends animal patterns.

Email will not be published

Website example